Warning that today’s entry might get a bit graphic. If you don’t want an in-depth discussion of girly issues, then you might want to go enter the giveaway down below or try to find a picture of a kitten doing something cute.
So, I’m looking for the crowd’s advice this afternoon. Mostly because I don’t feel entirely comfortable judging this for myself. I could be in some sort of mommy talks to doctors Olympics, but when it comes to my own healthcare, I start flailing about like a goldfish that’s accidentally jumped out of the bowl.
So here’s the deal–and I am going to be overly detailed, you’ve been warned.
I get up and get Charlie off to school with no problems. I drink a large glass of water. I head to McDonalds to get my diet coke of the day and some biscuits. Consume those in rapid fashion and then decide to do a little shopping–I’m looking for stuff to the room that will one day become “the boys'” room, but will become Charlie’s room pretty soon.
So, I’m walking around, doing my thing, and suddenly my stomach starts tightening up. It feel
so strong that it makes me breathless and I find myself strangely clutching at my belly–as if that would help. These feelings came and went several times–at least six–before I got nervous and decided to leave. Just to let you know how desperate things had gotten, I actually put down a piece of vintage pyrex (which I love) because I knew I couldn’t wait in line to pay for it. Meanwhile I’m also having what feels like waves of indigestion. I go home, lie down, drink water, and for the next 90 minutes my entire abdomen feel sore–as if I’ve been doing sit ups or some other strenuous activity.
I spend some time with my good friend, Dr. Google, and it seems like I’ve just had many of the symptoms of pre-term labor. Call the actual doctor, nurse returns my call and tells me this:
“Well, with two babies, you are going to be out of breath a lot. If you’re not still experiencing symptoms, you should be fine.”
I basically sat around crying for the rest of the afternoon. I felt like I had been blown off. I wasn’t sure if I should be avoiding walking around or picking up Charlie. I didn’t know anything about what had just happened to me and if it indicated something could be really wrong. I didn’t want to call back because I was afraid of being blown off again. Finally my husband convinced me to call Labor and Delivery. The nurse I spoke with told me it d
id sound like contractions and told me to stay lying down, drink water, and call my doctor first thing in the morning. Throughout most of the night I continued to have what I think were more like Braxton Hicks-like contractions. They were easy to get rid of with position changes.
I called the doctor again this morning with about a million questions. Namely, should I still be picking up Charlie, but also did they think I needed a cervical check? An hour and a half later they tell me yes, I can pick up Charlie, and that they’ll do a cervical check at my regular appointment next week.
So, I’m not really loving the situation. They were right–I’m fine today–but I’m walking around on pins and needles hoping it doesn’t happen again.
With Charlie, I know exactly what I want from a nurse/doctor. Half the time we’re collaborating and not just getting a consultation–I’m a respected part of his team. With this situation, I am once again reduced to being just one more hyper-active mother-to-be. I get that there are a lot of us. Still, I’m a woman with one traumatic, emergency c-section under her belt and a disabled child at home. Plus, I’ve got twins this time around, which can also be tricky for no reason other than the twin factor. Is it too much to ask that they’re a little over-cautious with me?
If you’re still reading this, thanks, and I want to add two other tidbits to make sure I’m getting it all covered:
- A few weeks ago I called and told them I had food poisoning. I asked if I needed to take any precautions and they said no and told me to take Zofran. When I went to my next appointment and mentioned the food poisoning, it wasn’t even in my chart.
- The bebes had their big scans four weeks ago. When I went in a week later, the results were not back. I still have not heard anything about them.
So, do I stay or go? Hash it out with the doctor or see if a high-risk OBGYN will take me on? What would you do and am I just overreacting because of a previous bad experience?
**Wanted to thank all of you for taking the time to help me figure out the best way to proceed. I’ll update you as soon as I have figured this all out. Again, thank you for you reading and sharing your opinions–I am so grateful.**