Saturday, Charlie was cranky.
Sunday, he screamed and fussed for hours. After giving him practically every medicine we had available to use, he continued to scream. I called the neurosurgeon, discussed the situation, and he thought it would be a good idea if he came in and had his shunt checked. Have a kid with a shunt is like living your life on an abandoned mine field. You get comfortable, you might even forget that the issue exists, and the BAM! there it is–the possibility of brain surgery.
CT revealed a shunt that’s working better than ever (his ventricles keep getting smaller–I have no idea what this means), and nothing obviously wrong with his ears or throat. We were advised to see our pediatrician if he continued to feel poorly.
This is the point where I start to get whiny about having a kid with special needs. I mean, if only the kid could talk. I’m stuck watching his every gesture trying to figure out if it’s a “clue” to his illness or an itch. We basically run an elimination game and wait to see who’s standing at the end. Will tonight’s winner be shunt failure? or will it be a viral infection of the mouth? Stay tuned to find out tonight on Illness.
Monday he seemed a *little better* and then suddenly in the afternoon, he crashed completely: shivering, feverish, crying, desperately tired, but unable to sleep. It was a bad evening.
We got in with the nurse practioner the next morning. Apparently, the whole city is sick and the place was booked solid. Never fear, mommy will get you in! We swabbed his nose and mouth, checked his ears, took a rectal temp, and cathaterized him for a urine sample. Seriously, if the kid had an opening, we checked it.
No strep. No flu. No ear infection. Actually, no clue what the problem is. He continues to run a high fever, but with no cause in sight.
I should have hopped on a plane tonight to head to Blissdom in Nashville. There are a ton of awesome people there, and I SO looked forward to seeing them again. And learning some new things. I could leave tomorrow afternoon, but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to do it if he’s still sick and we don’t know what the problem is. Love my Internet ladies, but my boy comes first.
Fingers crossed he’s feeling better tomorrow!