Vaccinations

Charlie was fully vaccinated through two months of age. I’d heard about all the controversy surrounding vaccines, but frankly, we’d been through so much the last thing I wanted was to land in the hospital with some random, totally preventable illness. beach 3 147

When Charlie was four months old, we were in the hospital having a shunt installed to drain cerebrospinal fluid off of his brain (good times). When he was six months old, he started having some very serious seizures, and vaccines were contra-indicated for the treatment of those seizures. So was going out in public. Again, fun times. Really, the first six months of Charlie’s life was one big party. If by party, you mean major medical event.

So Charlie was around one year of age before I got around to even thinking about vaccines again. At that point, after having spent some time in Seizure Town, I was pretty wary of vaccines and the associated risks. beach 3 275

So we waited.

And then suddenly, without me even noticing, Charlie was three with preschool looming before us. Louisiana is pretty lenient with regards to vaccinations and public school, so it was really up to me to decide how much, how many. etc.

I ended up finding this really fantastic book for any of you guys who aren’t sure about vaccinating or who maybe want to delay or even space out your child’s vaccinations. It’s called The Vaccine Book and it is authored by Dr. Robert Sears. What I like about it is that I didn’t feel pressured to do one thing or another—rather, he gives you a lot of options. He gives you a schedule for getting all your vaccines on a slow schedule, he suggests a reduced schedule for people who are nervous about it, he even provides you with the traditional schedule. The book tells you what additives are in vaccines and what the potential risks are.

We’re starting with the reduced schedule and Charlie got his first two vaccines in almost two years last week. He hated them. It wasn’t so much that they hurt—he seemed more mad that somebody DARED to do that to him. Twice. I guess I can see his point.

We started with some of the ones that prevent meningitis and will be moving on to DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis) in about a month.

So if you have questions about vaccines, please check out this book! It saved me a ton of research time by putting everything in one place and it did so in a way that didn’t sound crazy and reactive.

Have a happy Fourth, y’all!beach 2 037

Comments

1. I heard that book recommended many times…I really should get it. Austin was fully vaccinated up to age 9 months…then well LIFE happened. With school looming in the Fall I am dreading having to catch up…but I know we should — what with all those kids & disease just looming on the horizon. Glad I'm not the only one who waited it out.

2. Our twins, who were 6 weeks premature, were about 2 months old when someone finally told us that their older sister might have ASD. There is huge controversy surrounding vaccines and ASD, so I directly asked our pediatrician. He agreed to slow down their vaccine schedule. He only gave two shots per visit and he picked the most important ones each time. We were a little late on the polio for our preschool, but they understood and we got them caught up on those. I'm pleased to have found that route, because I do feel vaccines are important, but I didn't want to worry that we were repeating history. In retrospect (now that I know more about ASD) I think our older daughter had symptoms back to her newborn days – way before the most controversial vaccines were given to her – so in OUR case I don't think this is a factor, but I'm still glad we chose a slower schedule. No harm, no foul.

3. CountryCouture says:

Given that you are being selective, I'm surprised you're doing the dTap. Diptheria is practically unheard of, Tetanus is SO rare…and it's not like he's going to be using a rusty saw soon, and given his age, he is out of the words for Pertussis. Could his CP possibly prevent him from fighting Whooping Cough? The book stated that there were no deaths of kids above a year of age (I didn't look this up…just from memory I think it was something like that."

4. GingerB says:

I did online research to get the Sears viewpoint, and my girls' doc has been really supportive of slowing down the schedule, even after the famous retraction of the Lancet article linking autism to vaccines. But regardless of how you see that issue, obviously no child would be exposed to pertussis and diptheria on the same day, so it does seem to be asking a lot of a small body to mount a defense against multiple serious illnesses at once. However, I disagree with the previous commenter, whooping cough does get around, given that adults' vaccines may not protect them fully now and so many kids didn't get the vaccine. It came through my office and got three people a few years back, not deadly sick, but sick enough.

5. Little Bird was totally vaccinated up to 3 years old. By the next check up, we'd received her Autism diagnosis. I didn't really think that the vaccines they wanted to give her at her 4 year check up was going to cause "more autism" or anything, but I had, by then, learned way too much about the extra toxins in those vaccines. On that one day, they wanted to give her DTaP, MMR, Polio, Chicken Pox. Seemed a little excessive. Plus, she's teeny tiny. I have a hard time thinking that the same dose given to a kid in the 50%iles should be the same as my 5th %ile bird with such low muscle tone, she was still working so hard just to move. Then there was the fact that I thought her system was already compromised by so much difficulty. So, I stopped vaccinating then. She had received all these vaccines once and these were second or third doses. I spent the extra money to test titres and discovered she did have a amount of immunity to these diseases that I was comfortable with. For now, we're done. We may reevaluate as she gets older and on a case by case basis.

For the record, I do not believe that vaccines caused Little Bird's Autism because she was always this way; she did not regress after vaccines. However, I was instructed to get a flu vaccine while pregnant and I consented to the Hep B vaccine when she was 24 hours old. I didn't know I had a choice. I just went along with what my doctors suggested. I really hope more moms and dads learn that they do, in fact, have choices.

6. Candace says:

Most of Faith's doctors advised us against getting the Pertusis part of DTAP since there was increased risk in children with epilepsy. So they always gave her a DT shot instead. I really respect your thoughts on waiting, I have a friend who is a speech therapist and she was adament about delaying her kid's vaccines. She must have interviewed 20 ped. to find one who would work with her!

7. Candace says:

8. Christy says:

honestly, I can barely stand Charlie's cuteness!

I looooveee the Sears family. They just seem so great, I wish I could meet them.

I talked a little bit about vaccines with our doctor and we did spread them out in the beginning, but not so much now. Really, I just didn't want to think about it at the time. There was soo many issues and things to worry about, I didn't want to question something that seemed so routine. so normal…

Luckily his dad brought up the discussion and we made that decision together.

LJ's issues aren't so much the vaccines (or having blood drawn, etc) it's being held down. He HATES it and the more you hold him down the harder he struggles.

9. Like Candace, we are opting to leave the Pertussis part out of the DTaP vaccine for our daughter's 4-6 year booster. Is there any real evidence to prove that the pertussis portion can pose an increased risk to children with seizure disorders? Maybe yes, maybe no, but with her seizures currently under control I'm not about to start throwing wrenches into the system.

10. 政翰政翰 says:
  11. Wherever HE Leads We'll Go says:

Definitely going to check out that book.

Love the pictures. Charlie is so stinking cute!

12. Wahzat Gayle says:

I agree with the slow slow rate for vaccination. I also DO NOT double up shots I try to schedule one at a time. I don't like cocktails they make me anxious I don't trust the side effects. So when I do vaccinate I have the doctors give my children one shot at a time if it is possible.

I do have a little anti-vaccination side to me though, eventhough like KDL I know my son's diagnosis is not MMR related.
    Oh boy the things we have to deal with…

13. I wish I had read this book before… well, before! My oldest was fully vaccinated on schedule, and thankfully, he experienced no side effects. Our youngest, had such severe reflux that I was hesitant to complicate her life further with viruses and the like, so we took a less aggressive vaccination approach. She will be fully vaccinated by the time she's a year old, but we've done it in stages with no side effects to date!

14. Graham was WAY behind on his vaccines due to his rocky start. And nobody cared, we had bigger fish to fry.

We were in no hurry to get them done, but at age 7, he's caught up.