IEP

If you follow me on Twitter, then you know that yesterday I woke up looking like this: eye 017

Yes, somehow I developed an incredibly bad case of pink eye. I’m fairly certain that this is because Charlie’s IEP was today and the universe loves nothing so much as a good joke. I went to the doctor immediately, maybe hoping that he’d declare me terribly contagious and then I wouldn’t be forced to go around town looking like the living dead. Instead he told me, “you’re an adult—keep your hands to yourself,” which left me on the hook for the IEP—weepy eye and all. bee hunt 035

So today was the big day. Charlie decided that there was no way he could take a nap. This was to be expected—like I said, the Universe loves a good joke and what’s funnier than a screaming toddler? Oh, I know, a screaming toddler who’s about to meet a room full of strangers. He screamed bloody murder as I packed the Quickie Zippie into our rented minivan. We were running late, so I put the thing in the van all in one piece. I agree with Barbara that one should try to protect their backs when lifting medical equipment, so I chose to give myself a hernia instead. I’m kidding. Mostly.

We got to the elementary school relatively on time and I got into the building with little incidence except for one of the wheels falling off the chair in the middle of the parking lot. I swear, you just can’t make this stuff up. Some nice people came to my rescue, we got the wheel back on, and then proceeded to the IEP.

I was pleasantly surprised. Despite Charlie’s severely cranky attitude, they all commented on how cute he was and giggled as he diligently pressed the buttons on his DVD player. It’s a good thing he’s cute because Lord Almighty is he a whiner. ladybugs 065

He’s going to be in class three days a week, all day. I’m still letting that sink in—my baby is going to be gone all day. Of course, if that doesn’t work for us, we’ll make changes, but with the multitude of specialists who need to see Charlie, I knew he would be in school a lot.

He will have PT, OT, adaptive PE, and assistive technology once a week. He’ll have speech twice a week. He’ll take one meal and two snacks at school every day and have a seventy minute nap. Charlie doesn’t take a seventy minute nap, but I figure that’s their problem. Knowing him, he’ll convince some nice lady to cuddle up with him so he can rest properly.

He’ll be working on all kinds of things, but I’ll share what I remember best: sorting and categorizing, naming body parts, feeding with a spoon, using a PERCS system, and potty training. We weren’t sure about the potty training, but after a lot of discussion we decided to go ahead and give it a try. We’re setting the goal at 50% of the time, though, to give us some wiggle room.

I feel a lot better about things now that I’ve met some staff and have a feel for what we’re getting ourselves into. Up next: figuring out the best way to enjoy the summer.

Pictures from this week’s bug unit—we’re a little behind schedule because of all of our appointments, so unit post probably won’t go up until Saturday.

Comments

1. TherExtras says:

And "next" the universe needs to take a vacay! I will blame the universe for you eye, but when you call it a choice, well, natural consequences! (Thanks for the shout-out!) And if the pain in your ([you know where] does not heal by the time the is better you might want to see someone. (Online friends can only do so much.)

Thanks for posting this before the bugs. A good outcome from an IEP meeting is something to cherish.

Virtually kissing His Cuteness's curly head. Barbara

2. So excited to hear Charlie's wonderful IEP news, but I'm so sorry to hear about your nasty case of pink eye! Hope you're feeling better soon!

3. Candace says:

WoW, Katy! That's some day, girl! LOL! I have had some days like that before! So it sounds like the meeting went well. Glad to hear it!

4. Sorry about the pink eye, hope it clears up quickly.

I am so excited that Charlie gets to start school. How fun for him and you'll love the break once you get used to being alone. It will give you more time to work on your art.

5. Sounds like a great IEP! Once you meet some of the staff I think it calms you a bit! I like the program too. Very simular to what Cj had at Charlie's age. It is hard to let go at first but once you see how much fun he is having it gets better. You will have time for your ART! Both of my boys will be in school full time for thr first time! I will have a really hard time at first for sure!!!! But look forward to starting my ART back up!

6. Amy Genn says:

I think I'm going to move to your town.
    That is the most amazing preschool program and IEP plan I've ever heard of!!

Eli gets 30 minutes of OT with a Certified OT ASSISTANT ONCE a week!

No PT's on staff!
    And they don't do academics.

I'm jealous and happy for you all at once! :)

7. Sounds like it went well. Aside from the oozing eye and whining Charlie.

At G's first IEP, they wanted him 9-3 five days a week. A THREE YEAR OLD. They were not happy that I wanted to ease him in and start with half days. That there is probably the only time his team and I have not seen eye to eye (mine were never goopy though… sorry)

8. Jessica says:

I cant believe he is starting school! it sounds like a great plan, I cant wait to hear how it goes.

9. I cannot believe it's time for his IEP! It sounds like a great meeting (of course it would be nice, just once without things like wheels falling off and swollen eyes!!) that's our usual story too! Can't wait to hear more!

I am concerned about him being away all day without you. Is he ready for that?

And are you?

11. danielle9074 says:

Hi Katy! I've been lurking on your blog for at least six months. I love the way you write, and I think you're so funny! Good luck with the school year and future IEPs. I hated them a lot back in my middle and high shool days, but I'm glad it went wellish for you :)

P.S. read my brand new blog if you feel so inclined myotherlegs.blogspot.com

12. Your luck sounds about like mine! I am glad the IEP went well though! I think Charlie will love school and then so will you!

13. I came across your blog through No Time For Flash Cards (GREAT lessons that you are doing, by the way!!!). My son also has an IEP, but he's on summer break right now. During the school year, he goes 4 mornings a week… He just loves it!

It sounds like the IEP went really well, but definitely don't be afraid to push for less time at school if he's having trouble adjusting! You'll do great, and so will he!!

14. this post was at the bottom of your sweet shot post so i hopped over. i'm a PT, but haven't practiced for 11 years now. i used to proved PT in schools and educational settings. you sound like such a positive, relaxed (don't laugh too hard!) mom. that IEP, and you being a teacher, i think he's got it made! :) glad your mtg went well. continue to be his advocate! know your rights. there is absolutely NO PT offered in our public schools here… ?? statistically impossible, but they've figured out a way to wiggle out of it. so congrats on an IEP well done! :)
    {PS: love your sense of humor!}

15. Wherever HE Leads We'll Go says:

Yikes! Sorry about the pink eye. Glad to hear the IEP went well. We will be doing that in August. Not really looking forward to that!

Emily also has a Quickie Zippie. I am pretty impressed that you were able to put it in the van in one piece. I can lift it out in one piece, but cannot get it in like that. We are going to look into getting a luggage ramp so I don't kill myself lifting that thing.

16. Yay school! Gosh 3 days a week does seem like a lot…I don't even know what I'd do with 3 days a week without my kids. Paint? Write? Clean the bathroom? I know, that's going too far.
    Anyway, sounds like Charlie will be well taken care of. I'm sure he'll have a great time at school.