FBI Screen

One of Charlie’s favorite activities is playing with the portable DVD player and fiddling with all of the available buttons. He’s gotten adept and finding his favorite place on the video using fast forward and now days is really obsessed with rewinding the player and hitting the back button.

On some discs, hitting the back back button will take you to all the special features on the DVD. On other discs, you land on the FBI warning page and once you’re there, you’re stuck.  No going backward, no going forward, just stuck there looking at the boring blue screen.

Charlie’s doesn’t seem to be able to get it through his head that these DVDs are this way. He joyfully hits that back button and then wails in despair when the blue screen appears. Twenty seconds later, we’re in the same place again. He just can’t understand why he can’t get to the bonus material.

Hubby and I are big fans of learning from experience and so we let him go ahead and get frustrated—sometimes many times over—before we intervene and change the disc to one that does his bidding. beach 115

Recently we were in the car with my brother-in-law while the FBI screen meltdown was occurring a few more times than one would like. Out of nowhere, he chuckled.

“What?” I inquired feeling more than a little defensive about my kid’s atrocious behavior.

“Well, I was just wondering if there’s a metaphor in there somewhere. Is there any place in my life where I keep doing the same thing expecting a different result and then getting upset when it doesn’t work out?”

Good question, huh? So I’m asking myself the same thing: am I spinning my wheels somewhere? Wasting my time and energy on something that just doesn’t seem to be paying off?

What about you? Time for a change somewhere?

beach 163

Comments

1. Charlie! What a stinker! HE HE HE! Good thoughts though, Katy! I have been trying really hard to NOT put too much pressure on Faith, now that we are h.s.ing. I have been just trying to introduce stuff and roll with it, if she likes it she does if she doesn't, she doesn't. But it's NOT easy! I am like…if I have to look at the letter A for one more day, I will scream! LOL, just kiddin. Love Charlie's beach pics…..

2. That is some pretty white sand!

He sure looks darling sitting on the beach!

Nope. My life is perfect. Want to buy some oceanfront property near here? 😉

3. Very good points to ponder. I had an extremely trying day with Peyton, so for right now I'm saving the soul-searching for later. :)

I just had to comment on the adorable pictures of Charlie at the beach. Love the mischievous grin in the second pic. What a cutie!

4. Your posts always get me thinking :)

5. GingerB says:

I'm sure there is a lesson in here about Hannah. She has picked up a hbait of screaming and fake crying, just way over dramatically about whatever she doesn't get but really wants. Her day care workers all know that it was started by classmate Sophia, and they are trying to break all the little nearly two year olds in the group of it, but my husband and I are at our wits end with the not giving in and staying calm thing. Perhaps I should yell and cry back? Oh never mind. the lessons I never learn are about things like going to bed on time, not eating before bed, not expecting my husband to be someone he isn't . . . this list goes on and on. I am apparently a very poor student in some subjects.

6. caryanne says:

WOW. I can't believe how well Charlie sits. And I'm so pleased he seems to be enjoying the beach. I am super grateful that Ben likes the beach…so many of our CP kiddos have issues with sand…and I'm just so glad that the beach is something that we get to enjoy as a family.

Love the post. Great message. Now to think on it some. And maybe get back to ya!

7. Hmm, I think there's like SIX things that are similar to that in my life! Not having any cleaning schedule anymore and then freaking out and not understanding why the house is never clean anymore, for instance. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? Or eating garbage food for a few days straight and then being confused as to why I feel so grouchy and tired.

8. Good philosophical question- I think I am that way in relation to my family in a lot of ways. I wish they would do things differently, or be more proactive about their health, or deal with my brother in a different way, but I can talk their ears off and nothing ever changes. I am trying to take a bit of a step back from that.

That's sounds omnious!!!

10. As a matter of fact – I do. And I got rid of one of the situations this week.

In general, I think I am pretty good about not continually repeating the same action over and over again. Where I fail is in relationships.

Hi katy, Siobhan here. I can't believe how big Charlie has gotten, he's just gorgeous!!

12. Katy,

Your photographs are so beautiful! I love them! That smile is just infectious, in all the best of ways!

My life is so not perfect, but it is a work in progress..

13. Just noticed from your twitter profile that you have a blog….going to try and find your followers widget now!

I'm a New Orleans native now living in Kansas. I miss my family and my hometown.

Your son is adorable. Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

14. mrs.notouching says:

Oh the things our kids teach us :-) Those pictures are adorable!

15. My kids all hate that screen, too. Usually they say, "Mama play it again" = meaning the show…and they don't seem to understand that I can't make that screen go away.

I have a whole category of posts about things I learn from my kid…sometimes I think she teaches me more than I teach her.

There are plenty of things like the back button that I haven't figured out yet…yelling is probably my biggest. I can in one breath tell my daughter to use her inside voice and in the next be yelling at one of my two year olds to stop/get down/whatever…and it doesn't work anyway. Can't quite figure out what to do instead. Sometimes I remember to do a countdown instead, but at the end of the day when I've counted down more times than NASA it gets a little old.

16. Christy says:

I have been thinking about this a lot in therapy. I def go round and round when it comes to my relationship with Louie. Don't get me wrong, we get along great, but the issues that do come up, I handle in the same way… which has resulted in no resolutions and have actually made the problems coem up more!
    Sometimes it's hard and you need outside perspective to figure out what to do differently.

17. Wherever HE Leads We'll Go says:

I have no doubt that there is something in my life that needs changing because I am banging my head against the wall. I cannot think of it right now (maybe the head banging is messing with my memory). It can be far too easy to get into a rut!

Love the pictures of Charlie. HE looks great sitting up! Doesn't hurt that he is too cute for words!