Parenting a Special Needs Child Is. . .

Never lamenting that your child is growing up too fast.

Cringing when strangers ask if you child is walking/talking yet.

Celebrating the small things.

Seeing beauty that you couldn’t before.

Knowing which hospital has the best emergency room.

Getting an amateur medical degree.

Bittersweet birthdays.

Getting really good at dealing with stares.

Using acronyms with ease—CT, MRI, PT, OT, ST, IEP, HIE, CP, etc.

Hoping for the best, but planning for the worst.

Realizing you were wrong about things.

Changing your priorities.

Learning that you were never really in control.

ladybugs 080

Have one you’d like to add?

Comments

1. Just that Charlie is such an angel face! Seriously, seriously so cute. Such lovely hair.
    I'm always a sucker for babies in bathtubs.

2. Kristina says:

Learning how to ask for help.

Love the photo of Charlie!

3. sherrilee says:

Wow! Mind if I "borrow" this?

What about the crazy list of words we can spell? hydrocephalus, encephalocele, corpus callosum, aquedectal stenosis,and on and on…

4. SupermomE11 says:

I would add –

"Redefining perfect"

and

"Noticing, celebrating and finding joy in the smallest of achievements and milestones."

5. Kristin says:

Laughing when you are asked if your 3 month is sleeping thru the night. I mean, thanks to Autism, your 7 year old just started sleeping thru the night.

Rejoicing that your typical kids do something and not really keeping score when they do it.

6. remembering that all you have to make it through is today …. because thinking of tomorrow might be too much to handle.

Rejoicing in friends you've made {even in Blog land} …. knowing those friends understand your "new normal"

** Loved your list! Hope you are well….

7. The Henrys says:

Gaining more patience than you ever thought was possible.

Adorable picture!

8. Candace says:

I am all over the hospital ER one, Katy! When ever we take a trip the first thing I do is research where the hospitals are and print off a list of the ones who deal well with kids like Faith! No kiddin', I really do! I wanna add…
    Taking you vacations based on good hospitals! LOL!

9. To barrow the title of a book — it is dreaming new dreams.

When I adopted Luke I wondered how it would be to be a
    baseball mom and hang with the other moms. Never dreamed it would be on a challanger league. Boy are those other moms, dads, grandparents wonderful. And then there are the buddies and some of their parents. I would have never dreamed.

Love the post and the other commnets :-)

10. Kristen says:

I saw this on Sherri's blog too. I like it!!

Welcome to Parenting. It's a tough job any way you look at it.

12. another great post, Katy. To this list, I'd add "…not for the weak."

You know I've gotta use this on Friendship Circle's blog :)

13. Danielle says:

While it was challenging, it was the BEST thing I have ever done in my life.

14. caryanne says:

What a great list!

15. Treasuring every little accomplishment, no matter how insignificant to other it might seem.

16. This is the definitely of love, unconditional.

17. Wahzat Gayle says:

So true… learning that you were never in control!
    And celebrating and NOTICING the small things!

I think your list is right on

I would add truly appreciating your child.
    Charlie is so cute!

18. a blessing. No doubt about it.

19. Is it just me, or do you think that Charlie and Elisabeth kind of look alike?(which of course means that they are completely beautiful, stunningly gorgeous children!)

Great post!

20. Parenting a Special Needs child is…one of the hardest and bravest things a woman can do.

21. Yes! All of these!

22. Wherever HE Leads We'll Go says:

Great post! Love that picture. He is just so cute!

23. Hi Katy!

Mind if I reproduce this in my site?

best regards