Lookin’ Up

Well, I think I’m recovering from yesterday’s battle and I know I have another one on the horizon–we visit the neurologist next Wednesday. Hey, maybe that’ll be easy (a girl can dream, right?)

It’s not all tough stuff over here, though. After looking through our benefits book, I believe that our insurance company will be covering the full cost of the wheelchair. I’m, of course, not counting that chicken until it shows up, fully-paid in my living room, but it’s a nice thought.

I also completely forgot to mention that I took Charlie to Story Time at the library last week and I’m definitely putting that adventure in the success column. I went early, introduced myself and Charlie to the librarian and gave her a one-sentence explanation of his issues. She was so completely nice and wonderful to him and in true Charlie style he turned his head and closed his eyes. Five other children came in a gaggle and two stories were read and two Raffi songs were played that the kids all danced to. Charlie is very shy and kept his eyes firmly closed the entire time. I did notice, however, that during the second story his eye lids started to flicker like he was trying to peek out at everyone. When it was finished the librarian came over to say goodbye and he actually opened his eyes and looked at her. In my book that’s a smashing success and we’ll be going back next Friday.

I’ll admit that I never wanted to buy my child a wheelchair, but that’s past me now. Just spending the day with him today, made me notice how much he’s growing up and changing. My confidence in him isn’t unfounded–he is amazing.

Comments

1. therextras says:

Enjoying me some Charlie with my morning coffee. Mmmm, mmm, good!

Love Raffi!

Oh. And. A hug for you, Katy. 😉
    Barbara

2. Raffi is the best!! Glad story time was a success.

When Graham was that age and presented with a new situation he'd sort of do the same thing, he'd snuggle up and pretend to be sleeping.

3. sitting on the mood swing at the playground says:

Okay, that top photo is my all-time favorite Charlie photo. I think it's so cute that Charlie was flickering his eyes during the second story…that's adorable. I got tears in my eyes when I read that he looked at the librarian. I'll keep my fingers crossed and send good vibes that the wheelchair is covered.

4. Elizabeth says:

Well done Charlie! Maybe this will start a love for the library? :) I'm an addict..and I feel compelled to share my addiction! LOL

He really is.

LOVE the pictures! He looks SO happy!

6. and he's cute as a bird's ear, too! great pictures with Daddy!

7. Yay! I'm glad Charlie liked story time. :)
    I don't know if this will make you feel better but I was thinking about this memory I have after your post about wheelchairs yesterday.
    When I was in 3rd grade, we had a 4th grade girl named Amanda with cerebral palsy. She used a wheel chair in 4th grade and then when she was in 5th and 6th grade she started using a walker. (I switched schools between my 5th and 6th grade so I don't know what happened to Amanda after that.)
    But what I particularly remember is that we all thought Amanda's wheelchair was freakin' cool because it was pink and she had stickers on it! All the girls used to argue over who got to push her around at recess.
    So anyway, that is my good childhood memory about wheelchairs. :)

8. Melio (MelissaInk) says:

I skimmed your post first and thought, "Why does she have a chicken in her living room?" Ha ha.

9. Love the last picture!!! He has such a great smile. I will have to check out story time at the library, I really need to start taking Sophie on more outings.

10. Kathy - OKC says:

He is adorable!! I'm glad he liked story time. I just can't picture him being shy….all the pictures I see are a happy bright eyed bushy tailed boy. :-) I hope you get the wheelchair payed for. Good Luck

11. I love the pictures – Charlie always brings a smile to my face – I know he does for you too :)

I have been wanting to check out the library thing – you've inspired me to try.

12. Katy, I bet you will be even more over the wheelchair thing when he gets his and you see how easy it makes your life and then he takes off! BTW I have a pic of Faith in the Quickie on the left pics side of my blog. I am so glad Charlie "enjoyed" story time, the little joker!

13. LOVE the pictures! Such a handsome boy!

Glad the library class went well… we also try to go every week. Fun for both mom & kid! =)