Jinx

Have you ever had that feeling. . . you know, where if you talk about something then it might not happen?

Well, I haven’t said anything because I don’t want to jinx it, but I think Charlie is talking.

I know what you’re thinking? Big honkin’ revelation, right? First of all, he’s two, he should be talking, and second of all, I said “think.” Clearly it’s a little early to be calling the Associated Press.

So here’s the deal: When Charlie watches TV, if he thinks no one is around, he talks to the TV. At first it was just sounds: buhbuhbuh when they were saying banana and atatat when they were saying cat. Keep in mind, he NEVER does it if he think you’re around, but if you’re standing behind him, or if you –and this is a completely hypothetical example–slip into the other room to update Twitter, then he starts up.

And now it’s starting to sound like actual words.

The other day I was on the floor painting (who needs a studio when you have faux-wood floors?)when I distinctly heard what sounded like wawer. I looked at the TV and sure enough, they were on water. Two days ago, while working with his Feldenkrias lady, she asked him to say her name, and he did! Completely blew me away. I’ve also heard what I think was apple and I love you. Both times he was repeating something someone else said. Both times he was talking to someone that wasn’t me.

I don’t know if he’s got performance anxiety or what, but I still think it’s a good thing. If he wants to practice on the TV for a while, fine. I’m such a chatterbox, he probably talks to the TV because it lets him get a word in once and a while. Side note: Another special needs mommy called me the other day and we talked for almost an hour. Seriously, I need somebody to shut me up. She’s just lucky it wasn’t Happy Hour–we might still be talking. Gah!

Anyway, I’m just excited that he’s starting to make meaningful sounds. I’m not crazy (well, I am crazy, but for completely different reasons); I know we have a long way to go with communication, but this is progress and I love me some progress!

Comments

Cool! My youngest just pointed and grunted…she could talk but it was easier to just point and grunt. She finally cut lose at 3.

My mother told me I came out talking and haven't shut up since.

Charlie will come into his own…soon.

Cool! First and second!!

And now third…wait 'til you see your tote bag….stadium bag! It's not finished but I'm lovin' it so far.

4. desperate housewife says:

That's great news! Kids never want to let you in on how much they really know, imo. In a lot of ways Charlie sounds so very typical of every toddler I've ever met! For instance, half the time my kids refuse to talk to the doctor, so I have to assure them that they are in fact, saying an appropriate amount of words and are not deaf/mute or showing signs of autism or whatever.
    I bet Charlie knows a lot of words and he's just storing them up for when he thinks you're away!

5. My step-daughter is 4 and we still have to remind her that she needs to talk. Grunting and pointing is not acceptable.

I think it is great that he is starting to talk! Poor Tina… unloved and pretty soon she will be unneeded.

6. wonderful!!!!!!

7. Hooray for Charlie! That's awesome.

8. therextras says:

Knocking on wood here…I think Charlie's talking! (Not rational, I know, but I have that same jinx belief.)
    Barbara

9. That is awesome!!!

10. Katy, that is simply just wonderful. I've been a faithful follower in the dark for years, back before the Charlie days and I don't comment often, but I'm feeling chatty today.

You're doing such an awesome job!

ps & probably the reason Charlie doesn't do it in front of you is that he knows Mom will get things for him without needing to speak…it's a typical parent/child thing. Celebrate!

11. Yeah! What a blessing! Enjoy :)

12. That's awesome news!

13. Awesome, Charlie! Faith is starting to "say" some things that sound like early words.. I NEVER thought I would hear it. I am so happy for you, Katy!

14. Baylee and Blair's page says:

That is awesome! And, NO you are NOT crazy! Go Charlie Go!

Big Hugs to you!
    Tiff

15. So I just have to ask… Charlie's Feldenkrias lady, is that the same as the Anat Baniel Method? I'm just getting into the whole world of ABM and would love to hear more about it. If you wouldn't mind sharing some details on that or if you already have posted about it, can you point me in the right direction? It'd be so very much appreciated! Totally excited for you and Charlie!

16. Wherever HE Leads We'll Go says:

That is SO exciting! You are not crazy – celebrate away! I would be doing some kind of Happy Dance if my daughter said anything close to an actual word.

17. I just let out a big "YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" That is amazing. Of course you are not the least bit crazy, this is how the talking starts.

Charlie rocks.

xo

18. That is awesome. Start saying, "Shana, Shana, Shana," about 10 times a day. Remember to show him a picture to. If he starts saying, Nhana instead, thats it! That is what newly talking children always call me. Gotta say my name!

19. So glad :-)

20. sitting on the mood swing at the playground says:

Yay! Great news!

21. Charlie and Merrick always seem to be doing the same things at the same time! Really! Go Charlie!