Back and Forth

So. . . I hesitate to say that Charlie has been sick because I feel as if we are battling this yucky sinus/congestion thing nearly every week. I’ve paid out a bunch of co-pays and he never has a fever and never has an infection. He’s always just an irritable, snotty, funky mess and it lasts a few days and then it’s gone. Not surprisingly, when it’s cool he feels better and when it warms up he feels worse. I think it’s pretty clear that the kid is an allergy-fest. I may risk one more co-pay and see if he’s old enough to take zyrtec or something. I don’t like the idea of drugging my kid, but he snores like an old man and it’s effecting everything else, so I think it would be worth it if we could put a stop to it.

Anyway, why am I whining about my kid’s allergies? Not because it’s interesting!

You see, on Monday we took Charlie out in his gait trainer (walking contraption). Quick aside here, when I first heard the word gait trainer I HATED it–I have no idea why. Moving on! So we took him out in his gait trainer and for the first time ever he was actually taking steps on his own. Just one step and then with a little help the other step, but this is a huge improvement over his previous work. By the time we finished the session his therapist was wondering if we should order him his very own gait trainer, so he isn’t dependent on a loaner.

Well, on Tuesday the congestion started and he was so irritable and weak on Wednesday that I could barely get him to sit up right in his high chair, which is never a problem for him. Every time we put him in the gait trainer he just sagged it in it. Le sigh.

Now I’ve let him rest up and we’ve got a cold snap coming, so hopefully he’ll be feeling better soon. In the mean time, I WANT TO PRACTICE WALKING!!!!! I am so impatient and I’m at the point where I’m dying to take a little video of his foot action, and he’s just not sleeping well at night and this makes his pretty uncooperative during the day. Seriously, has a person ever died from impatience?

So, my baby’s first steps:Yay!

Allergies:Bah!

Comments

1. Mamá Terapeuta says:

I wanna see that video!!! Charlie’s progress is impressive!!

BTW, if he really haves sinuses or any type of congestion, you should ask ABR for help. They have an exercise for anything you can imagine :)

2. MeghatronsMom says:

What about seeing an ENT doc? They would be able to shed some light on the problem. A big stand out in your post to me was that he snores like an old man. He might have adenoids blocking him up & he can't drain. It sounds to me like he has allergies too.

Let us know what you do.

Yeah!!!! Go Charlie Go!!!!

4. Good for Charlie! Him and Merrick have the same funk lately and our pediatrician said it would be okay to go ahead and give him a little bit of Zyrtec. I give him a little less than 1/2 tsp. (He’s 21 lbs) Makes him sleep like a baby–go figure–and his nose isn’t so runny in the morning…but as soon as he’s off of it, its back to snotty flemmy baby.

5. THAT IS AWESOME!!!!
    I know exactly how impatient you feel. When Max was young, and I waited for every inch forward of development, it was such a bummer when he wasn’t feeling well (well, aside from the fact that he was sick!) because it totally derailed his progress. Hope Charlie feels better, soon.

6. Annabellesmamma says:

My daughter Annabelle also has the same congestion and also has loads of allergies, I have been feeding raspberries (anti mucous properties) and blueberries (antioxidants) and both have great vit c, both help fight infections and she seems to have a lot less runny noses and seems to recover quicker if she does. Well I thought it might be worth giving a try before the zyrtec. By the way I love your blogs, we are also considering ABR at the moment I just have to convince the hubby.

7. I broke down and gave him some Zyrtec today, but I’m going to take all the great suggestions I got here because I much prefer natural solutions when I can get them.

8. Aww poor Charlie…hope the Zyrtec helped and he’s sleeping better!

9. blairspage says:

I hate it when our babies are sick! It makes them so miserable! Baylee takes Zyrtec, Nasonex and Singulair. And has for the past couple years. I hate giving them to her, but when she doesn’t take it she gets so sick! Allergies do stink! I hope he gets over the funk quick! And, I don’t think the weather is helping anything!

Hugs – tiff

10. Barbara says:

I hope he’s feeling better soon. It’s so hard when they’re not feeling well.

And I too can’t wait to see that video!! I’ll be checking in often – Go Charlie!

11. Yay for walking practice!
    Boo for allergies.
    I hope the 2nd goes away, and he keeps working on the first!

12. That’s awesome! I hope you can’t die from impatience, or I’m a walking death trap.

You should totally post a video of his new skills!

13. I can’t wait to see a video!!! Now I’m impatient!!! Poohy!