The Santa Clause

I made a decision ages ago that I didn’t think was a big deal at all.

I decided that I wasn’t going to tell my child about Santa Claus.

I think Santa Claus is nice and all, but the idea of the whole thing just doesn’t appeal to me. I am NOT being judgemental about the bazillion people who love Santa Claus. I’m just not comfortable lying to my child and I hate to think about the day of disappointment where he discovers that Santa isn’t real.

I didn’t make a big announcement about the whole Santa Claus thing and I was a little surprised that it came up, but it did. The conversation started with everyone wanting to know why I wasn’t doing Santa Claus and quickly devolved into these sad stories about the moment when everyone discovered he wasn’t real. It’s strange–people love the idea of Santa Claus, but finding out he isn’t real is a pretty tough moment.

So, I’m gonna skip it. I’m going to TRY to focus on God’s gift to humanity, doing for others, and all that. I can see about a million ways that this plan will go awry, but it’s what I’m sticking with for now!

Comments

1. therextras says:

We did that, too, with our first. Worked well. It was the other bazillion people [aka relatives] who felt compelled to criticize us that were the problem. Fortunately, we lived away from them during our children’s early years.

Somehow with our second child, well typically, we became more lax on some things. Santa is pretty strong in the culture, so we didn’t try to dissuade her understanding. I think some measure of the influence has to do with the child’s age/development when November comes around.

For our first, we told him that Santa was symbolic or representative of gift-giving. Read him the stories. Emphasized that all the gifts came from real people.

I remember the day when our second child realized Santa was not real. I remember how sad she was. I felt a little bad about setting her up for that disapointment. Barbara

2. I like that idea, but we’re still going the Santa route. Despite my own claiming I’m going to push Santa, I don’t see that happening. I see our approach to Santa kind of like our approach to dressing up for Halloween. Our kids know the costumes are just COSTUMES, but it’s fun anyway.

It’s nice to see someone wearing SHORTS and TEES! Reminds me that our winter will end. Only, like, THREE MORE MONTHS.

3. We do Santa here, but Santa only brings one gift. Mom and Dad give the rest. Why should an imaginary man get all the credit for our hard work?

4. White Hot Magik says:

I don’t recall having a huge disappointment about Santa. My kids believe, but I don’t think they will be devastated. I don’t make a huge huge deal out of it. My six year old did ask me what Santa had to do with Jesus’s birth, I thought it was a great question and was proud of him. I think he is getting the big picture.

5. I love it!! I thought about doing that too but my hubby won out. We are now arguing over the Easter Bunny. I’m sorry but I just don’t think I can do the Easter Bunny. God’s way more important than that.

6. I have a friend who just couldn’t do the Easter bunny–she thought it was too ridiculous.

7. Hi Katy! Look forward to getting to know you on SN Bliss. I can soo relate to this post. I felt the same way, and tried to teach the boys abt the historical Santa that was persecuted and sainted for his faith. We have some hysterical stories of how both boys, (very impulsive and active) told their friends (around 5 to 6 yo)that Santa was dead. Beaten and imprisoned. notta pretty picture at the time. parents were upset with me for spoiling their kid’s fantasy. But we got thru it. Not sure if there are any easy outs with this one. Just keep the communicatn open.

That’s your business.

My ex boss didn’t allow his kids to do Halloween.

We do what is best for us and our families.

Hugs!!

OOOOOH thank YOU Thank YOU Thank YOU!!!! That damn word thingy is gone!!!

I just noticed!!!!!

I HATED THAT!!!!!!!

10. I don’t remember being sad when I found out he wasn’t real…but I was also the youngest of five kids so I was pretty young when I found out!!

SJI (not that he’s a good example of anything) never got into it with his son either because he felt it was basically lieing to him; he didn’t flat out say “there is no Santa” because the mom wanted to do it but he also never mentioned it and said if ever asked, he would tell the truth.

11. blairspage says:

We are all about some Santa too… and I don’t know why because the WHOLE time I felt bad that in years to come we would have to reveal the “truth” to our child. But, for me growing up it wasn’t a big deal finding out he wasn’t “real”.

Don’t let people make you feel bad! I think it’s a great decision to make!

Hugs – Tiffany

I’m tired of this blog post. Its time for a new one. You need to update more. The people demand more!!!!!

-c

13. What? Santa Claus isn’t real???!!!

14. We do Santa – but Santa only comes to our house. Our son (who’s 3) knows that the other gifts he gets are from the adults in his life, and he’s properly thankful (or as thankful as a 3 year old can be).

I remember when I learned Santa wasn’t real, and then my mom said something along the lines of “if you believe, he exists”. It eased my sadness and I don’t remember the truth being that traumatic.

Happy New Year!

15. I have NO memory of sadness that Santa didn’t exist. I think because the revelation came bit by bit – like, why is that Santa at a Christmas party wearing dad’s gumboots? Why did I see my parents wrapping the presents from Santa late on Christmas eve?

I tossed up not doing Santa at all with my kids, just because I want to minimise the whole Christmas hype, but then I saw BC’s face light up when he was really little and saw a Santa at a shopping mall, so gave in.

But, we take a pretty lateral approach to it here. I tell BC that there are lots of Santas and that Santas are just people who help mums and dads find the best presents for kids. I definitely don’t do any of the ‘naughty or nice’ stuff and definitely don’t bother going into the whole back story. So Santa in just a happy cheerful fella on the sidelines of the main event ;-). Oh, and he only brings a token stocking of little gifts. I agree with LM – which should he get all the credit!!??

16. Katy, I am in awe of your common-sense take on life. You’re very much like me!

17. Tammy and Parker says:

Just touching base to see if you had received my yahoo groups invite for Special Needs Bliss.

Looking forward to having you join our team.

Tammy

18. Wonderful idea. I wish I could get everyone to do that. I hate the “Santa Season”! It just doesnt’ mean what it is suppose to mean anymore.

19. Personally I think that is a great idea… I prefer to talk about the real reason for Christmas. I have relegated Santa as one of God’s helper and my children don’t expect to get a gift from Santa they just like the tv idea of him LOL so much so I overheard my daughter saying to a stranger that she didn’t need gifts from Santa because she had gifts already under the tree LOL! Children are funny!

20. materials says:

It seems my language skills need to be strengthened, because I totally can not read your information, but I think this is a good BLOG
    jordan shoes