Feldenkrais

Well, we went to our first Feldenkrais appointment today and I thought I’d share.

The lady practices all the way down in the Quarter and I got a little bit lost on my way down there. Luckily, my little brother is a wiz at directions and got me there almost on-time despite my wanderings.

The woman was very nice, with long hair, a flowing dress, and bare feet. She had a black standard poodle name Boogie who hung out with us.

I can’t really explain Feldenkrais even though I sat there and watched the entire session. It’s kind of like she’s stimulated different muscle groups with massage, but she’s also moving him through various movement like yoga. She described Feldenkrais as “educational.”

She feels strongly that Charlie will benefit from multiple visits a week since that is what is recommended. He normal rate is seventy-five dollars for a visit. She is going to charge me that for our weekly visits, but if I’m able to make it over any additional times during the week then she’ll only charge me twenty-five dollars for that session. I get the impression that she’s excited to be working with Charlie.

I got lost coming home too. I’m definitely going to need to spend some time with a map if we’re going to be going there regularly.

I’ll admit that I’m apprehensive about this new therapy. Mostly, because it’s a lot of money and time. Charlie seemed to enjoy it, though, and I’ve decided to give it six months and I’ll re-evaluate then. For now, I’m jumping in and giving it a try.

Comments

1. blairspage says:

Girl you might as well! It certainly can’t hurt and that’s GREAT that she’s giving you a discounted rate. I wish I lived in a bigger city to take advantage of things like that. Like my OT/PT ladies are WONDERFUL and I’m glad I have them, but neither of them have worked with an Omphalocele baby! So, it’s kind of trial and error when it comes to her therapy sessions!

Big Hugs to you!
    Tiff

2. Johanna - Daniel's Mom says:

I’m glad you enjoyed your first visit! While all kids are different, I can say that Daniel really benefitted from Feldenkrais. We unfortunately had to stop going due to time constraints, but we’re going to try to get him back into it after we move later this year. I’m looking forward to reading about Charlie’s experience with his new sessions!
    Oh, by the way, here’s a hint – after a few sessions, watch his pupils. Sometimes when they get really calm, their pupils get HUGE. According to Daniel’s Feldenkrais practitioner, it means their brain is really soaking up all of the new information. It’s a pretty cool thing to watch!

take things with a grain of salt.

that sounds very much like a fortune cookie….but….

go with your first impression.

Team Charlie is behind you with whatever you do….but be mindful.

love and hugs

4. I think that’s just great. You may remember my motto, if it couldn’t help and it might hurt, why not? We did craniosacral therapy with Max when he was little, which involved a lot of massaging of his head and mouth. In the end, we stopped doing it because I wasn’t convinced it was helping that much, although it did relax Max’s muscles and also help with his oral sensitivity. And so I figured, heck, once in a while I treat myself to a massage, why not Max? He has been through hell, after all. Feldenkrais sounds more useful. Obviously, as Nadine says, you have to go with your gut and see if you think it does work for Charlie. But like I said, I am all for trying stuff out.

5. Hi KM,
    It is great that you have an open mind.
    I like your Mardi Gras wreath and I loved your post on “stay at home” Moms. I taught before my children were born but chose to be at home when the children came. I chose that because my Mom was home for us and my siblings and I liked what it gave us. I went back to teaching when my youngest went to school and that worked well for me. Later when they were in college I stopped teaching and took a job in PR that paid “real” money. I do not regret any of it and my kids today say they appreciated that I was home for them and free to volunteer in their schools, at church, scouts, etc.
    Betty

6. I just read a comment above about pupils getting really big after this; and that is just so cool. I can only think how relaxing it must be. I’m glad you’re going to give it a try.

7. MeghatronsMom says:

Again, I am reading with great anticipation to see the outcomes as you explore alternative therapy. I read about the Feldendrais methods after you posted on them. I am very interested & it sounds a little more affordable than ABR for us. You know what is best for Charlie. If it works, keep at it. If it doesn't, you will know when to quit. Keep us updated! {hug}

Sounds interesting!

9. blairspage says:

Isn’t it hilarious what they do! So funny!

Thanks again… I truly cannot take any credit since they BOTH look just like Britt! Makes me mad sometimes that I did all that work and only have Baylee’s little beauty mark on her face to show! :) You wouldn’t believe how many times people have asked me if they are mine! :(

Hugs – Tiff

10. Gina (Mannyed) says:

I think it’s worth a shot. If you don’t see an benefits or improvement then walk away. When do you think you will see results?

11. Hey – I commented on your comment – Musician Guy and Married Guy, while both musicians, are totally different people! Haha gotta love me and my nicknames!

The new treatment sounds good!!