I’m Feeling Crazy

So, I’ve got two crazy plans afoot and frankly, I think I’ve lost my mind. This has not, however, deterred me. Apparently I am unafraid of failure these days. Well, I’m probably still afraid, but I’m not letting it stop me.

My first plan is to expose Charlie to some new types of movement. I was thinking swimming. I did a bunch of searching and I can’t find one place around my house that has an indoor pool. Scratch that, I can’t find any clubs with an indoor pool. So, I’m thinking about sending a letter and a cute picture of Charlie to two local hotels and see if they would let us use their pool about two hours a week. Sound crazy? Probably, but it can’t hurt to ask.

My second idea is even nuttier. I think I want to get an article published. I realize this sounds pretty grandiose, but hear me out. There are many, many mixed-media publications and I read a bunch of them. Pretty much every month I read an article that I think I could have written. I realize that here, on the blog, I pretty much post incoherent nonsense, but I did take fifteen English classes in college not including two I tested out of. I am capable of clear written thought. I think that I could write a decent, editorial-style article. So, now I’m in the process of figuring out how to write a query.

Anybody out there in blog land have any tips for either of these ideas. I’m feeling a little nutso, but I figure I’ve got very little to lose on either venture.

Comments

1. therextras says:

Go for it – both! (You know I like swimming. Approaching a hotel is brilliant.)

‘Nutso’ like the rest of us bloggers! lol!
    Barbara

2. I love you writing style – down to earth, honest with absolutely no pretentiouness at all. You have a gift with words – go for it!
    As for the swimming – what a great idea to approach the local hotels. Can’t see why it would be a problem for them. Are there no Y’s in your area? It is a shame if not as they run great classes for all kids.
    Carol.

3. At the local hotel here we can buy a pass for the winter. It is reasonably priced and would be so worth it for you and Charlie. It is a Radisson. Perhaps they have the same program there.

4. Well, am an avid swimmer and I am published also.

I think those are both great ideas!

YOu know, the pool thing isn’t so crazy…there are hotels here that have open swim (it costs like $5 per time) one day a week or whatever during the winter. It’s possible that it’s a chain-wide thing and they just don’t advertise it much down there.

6. I think they both sound like great ideas – and probably more feasible than you think.

Good luck!

7. one_big_pain says:

Go for it! Here in the midwest hotels make their pools available for physical therapy patients. So asking is not out of line in the least. (You might get a recommendation for water therapy from one of Charlie’s OTs just for added oomph)

And a published article is perfect! You’re articulate, creative, and have personal experience with so many different areas – – who better to write!
    -cindy

8. Gina (Mannyed) says:

That’s a good kind of crazy! Great idea on approaching the hotels. I don’t think I would’ve ever thought of that! Let us know how your both of your queries go!

9. I don’t think you’re nutso at all! Go for it – both projects sound great!

10. I can’t believe there’s no indoor pools around you – no YMCA’s? That’s an awesome idea to ask the hotels, I would have never thought of that!! I bet they say yes!

11. blairspage says:

You go girl! Don’t let anything stop you! The hotels can only tell you no. Not really failure, but I’m sure one hotel out there wouldn’t mind!

And, WRITE the article! That would be awesome!

Hugs – Tiffany

12. Bird,
    Both plans are great! We take Matthew to the YMCA, there are a few in our area. I am sure one of the Hotels in your area will let you use their pool. Go for it!

Paul is in PR so I am going to ask him if he can give you some tips about getting your article published.

Take care,
    Eugenia (Matthew’s mom)

13. OK, CONVINCE them!!! Offer to pay, and maybe they will find it in their hearts to let you in, free. It is such great therapeutic exercise. Max did swim therapy for a couple of years.

I’m going to email you with thoughts about writing an article, I’m a magazine editor.

14. I’m still trying to figure out what the hell a query is. I’d read your writing.

I think asking the hotel is a wonderful idea! How could they say no to a beautiful face like Charlie’s? And if not, like Carol said, try a YMCA–maybe they’ll let you in free or just pay for a pool session instead of joining for a monthly rate if you ask them the same way you asked the hotel.

15. GreenieWeenie says:

Write the article first, then submit it to the editor. THat’s how it works for me, anyway.

Check out the local colleges and YMCA’s…for indoor pools. Swimming I think is a fabulous Idea!!!!! The local junior college had a pool that was open to the elderly….but when the town was flooded it was too…and it hasn’t been opened back up yet.

I really like that idea of swimming. He can and could get a great deal from it.

Hugs!

17. Neither of those ideas is nuts. AT ALL.

HEY, I used to be a live-in home health aid for a young boy with CP. I took him swimming ALL THE TIME in the two summers I lived with them. We went to an apartment pool, and a public lake. But we both got giardia from the lake. I don’t recommend the giardia, but I DO recommend the swimming. He was always EXHAUSTED afterward, but happy. I know nothing really about occupational therapy, so I don’t know if it was actually helpful or not, but it was fun for him and fun for me.

18. Crazy me! I just gave you an award! Please come by and pick it up! Barbara

19. good luck with both plans!!!

20. It can’t hurt to ask, I always say. All they can say is NO. Right? As for an article…you’d be a great writing, in my opinion! Go for it.