Can You Love Jesus and Vote Democrat?

There’s an election on the horizon and you may have noticed a few people talking about it.

I feel like I need to address something that isn’t being adequately addressed by people–maybe I don’t read the right blogs, but I think that it’s important to weigh in on this particular issue.

There’s been a trend in recent years where those people who hold their religion in high regard seem to feel that they must vote Republican. Somehow, the Republicans have cast themselves in the role of the party of the Christians. Sure, the Democrats go to church and all, but the Republicans are the party of the Evangelicals, the born-agains, the Fundamentalists, and the Charismatics.

I’m not trying to tell anyone how to vote. I just want to say that religion and politics don’t mix. Please don’t think that where you go to church should determine how you vote. You can vote however you like and I’d like to tell you why.

First, let me address what i think are the biggest reasons many Christians feel it is imperative that they vote Republican: gay marriage and abortion. Those are some pretty big issues. How could a Christian in good conscious vote for a candidate who doesn’t oppose both? Here’s what I think: George Bush was the Christian man’s candidate. He opposes abortion and gay marriage. As we are wrapping up George’s reign, both of these things are still legal. Despite Christians going out and voting specifically on these issues, they still remain sanctioned by our government. Voting is not going to change things. If you feel passionately about these issues than I recommend giving your time to the cause through prayer. I’ve seen prayer do far more than politicians in my limited amount of time on this planet.

People argue that abortion is murder and I can’t really disagree. The war in Iraq is also murder. Innocent Iraqis are dying by the truckload and so are American soldiers. Sources estimate that around four thousand people have already died in the war. Please don’t think that I am trying to disrespect American soldiers. I have nothing but respect for the people who put their lives on the line for our way of life. I have two friends in Iraq currently and my husband served five years in the United States Air Force. They are defending their own lives and the lives of their comrades. Unfortunately, however, there’s a reason why they are flown over to another country and forced to do that.

Maybe this isn’t enough of an argument. I’d also like to point out that one of the biggest insults hurled at the Democratic party is the phrase, “bleeding heart liberal.” What exactly is a bleeding heart? A bleeding heart, by definition, is “someone who is excessively sympathetic toward those who claim to be exploited or underprivileged.” You know who else could be described as a bleeding heart? Jesus. That bleeding heart business means giving money to the poor and the underprivileged. The Republican party has been dedicated to giving our money back to us, but also to Halliburton, text book companies, and now the financial industry all while denying things like basic health care to underprivileged children.

I’m not saying that you should vote for Obama. Truthfully, I’m not in love with either of the big parties these days. I just want to point out that loving Jesus doesn’t mean that HAVE to vote Republican. It doesn’t make you a bad Christian. I think it’s time we separated our politics and our faith–our faith deserves better than that.

I wrote this and took a nap, and when I woke up I realized I needed to add something. I don’t want it to seem like I think the Democratic party is the answer. In 2004 they were also in favor of the war in Iraq. Rather I want to say that the issue isn’t black and white and is more complex than that.

Comments

1. Hear, hear! Faith is a great source of comfort and strength for people. It shouldn’t be sullied by politics, nor should politics be sullied by religion. I think if politicians spent more time trying to fix things and bring people together rather than divide them, things would be a lot better. Look at Jimmy Carter.

2. luckeyfrog says:

I couldn’t agree more. One of my other friends wrote a similar post urging her friends to look at issues, not parties, when deciding who to vote for, and I absolutely agree with both of you. I think that even if you are a person who traditionally agrees with one party, for religious or any reasons at all, it’s still completely idiotic to not consider the other candidates.

I think Christians don’t all have to believe the same thing, and I think that Democrats also have many values that Christians should embrace. Republicans hold some as well, but they don’t have a monopoly on them as some people would lead you to believe. And I don’t have a strong leaning toward either party.

Thanks for posting this! I think it shows that you are a very intelligent and thoughtful person.

3. Oldfarmboy says:

Thanks for the good blog. I agree with you. I wrote something that had similar sentiment a couple of days ago. It didn’t blame either party, but I believe in prayer enough to encourage people to pray for answers and study the issues before they vote.

4. Well put.

5. It seems that conservative Christian views also come with other views that I don’t hold to. Palin supposedly appeals to conservative Republicans due to her views on abortion and other hot Christian buttons but boy… do I have an issue with some of the things she believes in.

Palin supports the NRA and the right to our personal arms. Didn’t Jesus say something about turning swords into plows?

Palin supports shooting wolves from airplanes – talk about not waging a fair fight. Let me use this grossly overused phrase – What would Jesus do?

Palin supports drilling in environmentally sensitive areas. NIMBY is alive and well everywhere to the point that you can’t build half-way houses for prisoners or people with mental issues in any neighbourhood. Didn’t Jesus consort with prisoners and tax collectors? And yet… we certainly have no issues with destroying the value of an animal’s home to himself to the point that they can’t even live there.

Oh yeah… definite Christian values there. Funny how people pick and choose the values that they uphold as ‘Christian’ values and totally ignore the rest of them.

6. dingsmama says:

I love this post!!!!! So so true!!!! Your quote about prayer doing more than politicians really hit the mark.

7. Great post. That’s a tricky thing to write about, but I agree with you 100%. I loved the line about prayer accomplishing far more than politicians — how much faith we put in people who truthfully may or may not have our best interest in mind.

8. lamaschida says:

I completely agree with what you wrote. I have also had a hard time with both candidates and even though i know he is not perfect, i support Obama. That said however I do not support him unconditionally. I think it’s not logical to support a party or a candidate unconditionally. I think that is a mistake many christian republicans make. I agree that people need to vote according to the issues and to what can realistically be accomplished by the person in office.
    Thanks for your sharing your opinion. You made some great points!

9. Princess Abigail says:

Well said Bird!

I wish I could have said all that!

Now can you go tell people to vote Obama?

The rest of the world is SOOO frightened that Mc Cain will get in!

I LOVE the way you wrote this!!!

Alison
    The Bernard Bunch

10. You have been nominated for the best parenting blog of the year! (I nominated you, I really love your blog!) Here is the link: http://bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/58841 If it doesn’t work refresh the page, I had to then it showed up. If not put in the URL of your blog in the search box on the top of the site, I found it that way too.

11. well.
    said.

12. I can’t hardly talk about this, since I tend to lose my senses.

BUT… social conservatives sort of drive me up the wall. Voting republican because of TWO ISSUES that don’t really affect your life (abortion, gay rights) seems INSANE to me. Again, can’t really talk politics…

13. Rural Felicity says:

I haven’t replied to a single political post and hadn’t planned on it, but wow, my sentiments pretty much exactly.

14. Hi,

I just voted for your excellent blog for the Bloggers Choice Awards.

Could you please return the favor at:
    com/blogs/show/21620

Thanks,

SpEdLaw2

15. FreckledFireLily says:

Bravo! However, I still don’t know who in the heck I am going to vote for. I am running out of time to decide…

16. This is such an interesting point of view…though I am not from the US I always said that if I was I would be a Democrat rather than a Republican. I never once thought about as being insultingto my Christian beliefs. Wild!

Very interesting and thought provoking blog!

17. GreenieWeenie says:

gosh, how HEARTENING to read a blog along these lines. As I prepare to move back to the Bible belt, it’s so nice to read that someone else there distinguishes between faith and politics. I was never so appalled to learn that I was evidently a “bad” Christian, not only because I didn’t vote (I’ve only been off the green card for one election anyway), but because I didn’t automatically subscribe to the “right” party. Americans can represent themselves better than this, and our faith certainly does deserve far more.

18. Christine says:

Katy,
    As a Catholic, I will not vote for anyone who is pro-abortion. I know there are “other issues.” I believe, however, that anyone who claims to care about the down troddena nad underprivileged is not being truthful if he/she also supports abortion. An unborn child is the most vulnerable and innocent of our society. These same “bleeding hearts” are also less likely to protect people like Terry Schiavo, and support selective abortion for children who are the wrong gender, or who have “defects.” Every person is valuable. This includes those with developmental disability, injury acquired disability, age acquired disability as well as those who are “healthy.” I agree that we need to care for the less fortunate, however, in my experience, that is best accomplished through churches and private organizations, not throughbigger government. Neither party is perfect, as no human is perfect. Neither party will accomplish all of their campaign “promises,” and only the Supreme Court or Congress can overturn Roe-v-Wade. In many ways our president is a figure head. Of course, our founding fathers beleived that they had set up checks and balances so that no one area of our government could become too powerful. I imagine they are turning in their graves at what our country is becoming.

My 2 cents.

19. Christine, I appreciate your two cents. I still maintain, however, that voting won’t change abortion–even if Roe v. Wade is overturned. I beleive that prayer and community outreach is the only way.