What Am I Thinking?

Ok. Here’s the thing. I am deathly afraid of flying in airplanes. I flew for years with no problem and then all of the sudden. . . freak out. My husband likes to tell people about how I tried to convince him that we didn’t need to go on our honeymoon. He was real sweet about it and told me he was going to Cancun whether I came with him or not.

So I’ve managed to avoid flying since 2002.

Now I have to fly in September and October. In September I’m going to my cousin’s wedding in New York. My mom bought the tickets so there’s no getting out of it. Then, in October, I need to fly to Montreal.

Seriously, can I just ask my doctor for some Valium? I figure I need between four and six for the two flights depending on layovers. Any other suggestions? Prayer? Meditation? Hypnosis? I’m open to suggestions.

Comments

1. Elizabeth says:

Outside of deep breathing exercises, I’m willing to bet that your doctor will give you a few pills for your flight if you express to how distressed you are when flying. Definitely ask him/her about it. I wouldn’t recommend getting tanked… airlines are coming down hard on passengers who fly drunk… trust me, I know!

Not from personal experience, mind! 😉

2. Noah's mom says:

I am the same way- I completely FREAK( total panic attack, crying, puking, etc.) the second they call our flight number. I say take the valium…you will be a lot happier =)

3. I vote for the valium although I personally have never used it. I am a horrible flyer because I get claustrophobic. Do whatever you need to do in order to stay sane on the plane. The airline people will not take kindly to you freaking out or so I have been told by said airline people.

4. finally catching up here: 1) you can get some calming meds from the doc. my mom does it all the time. 2) how do those curtains look? 3)your vacation sounded like a dream i can’t stand cramming in tons of activity into my precious time off 4)good for you for trying out something new with charlie, you guys have a great support system. maybe swicthing things up is just what mr. charlie needs to push him to the next level.

I’d explain the situation to your Dr and I’ll bet he’ll do it.

6. I bet valium is a real possibility. I wonder what caused the freak out to happen to begin with.

Enjoy NY!!!

7. Umm, yes, you can just come right out and ask your doc from some supplemental help.

My doctor prefers Xanax to Valium, but whatever. I’ve taken the valium for flights before, and it has substantially improved my flying experiences.

8. Tylonal PM, helps knock you out for the flight.

9. Christine says:

I alos hate flying. I sit in my seat with my eyes closed tight and hold on to the armrests for dear life. You could probably get something from your doctor. Just remember that you cannot have a drink if you are on Valium. Sorry this wasn’t helpful. I felt the need to commiserate.

Not that I like to advocate drug use. . . but a friend of mine goes to pieces when she flies. She got some valium for her honeymoon flight to Jamaica (I think it was Jamaica). Just make sure your husband is on board because he’s going to be responsible for getting blitzed you and your stuff onto the plane. Good luck!

11. I’ll be flying with my mother both times, but don’t worry about me too much. My old doc gave me Valium for Charlie’s two surgeries and they made me relaxed and a little sleepy, but definitely not “blitzed.”

Take original formula (or whatever they call it) Dramamine about half an hour to 45 minutes before you board. At least two. This will accomplish two things: first, you will be knocked out to the point where you’re snoring. For hours. Second, it’s almost a muscle relaxant. I am not a great flier either.

I take Ativan – it seems to work for me, by taking away the fear, palpitations, sweating at take off, during turbulance etc. I just feel very sleepy, but can stay awake if needed. It lasts about 6 to 8 hours before it wears off for me.
    However, as your little boy is so very young still, do be careful what you take. You don’t want to be so out of it, that you will be unable to care for him properly – or be unable to react quickly if needed. If you have never taken any drug like this before – perhaps a little trial run 3 or 4 days beforehand would be a good idea.