Getting to Know You

Today we had our meet and greet with the man who will be Charlie’s new neurosurgeon. As I’ve mentioned before, his old one is no longer working, so we had to find someone new.

To simplify things, I’d decided to visit with the guy who works with all of Charlie’s other doctors. When Charlie is older he’ll qualify for the cerebral palsy clinic where his physiatrist, nuerosurgeon, and nuerologist will all see him on the same day. Whoopee!

The visit was OK. We waited for about forty minutes and Charlie wasn’t really feelin’ it. The appointment time meant that he was in the car when he should have been napping. Basically, he was a grump who did not feel like meeting someone new. As he gets older he seems a lot less enthused about meeting new people. I liked the doctor. He seemed slow and methodical–a personality type that I like in a nuerosurgeon.

It is always hard to meet a new doctor. I forget that Charlie is a first-class science project and they’re going to want to know all kinds of good stuff. Charlie, in turn, acts disinterested and annoyed and I know they’re looking at him and thinking, “MY GOD THIS CHILD IS HORRIBLY PALSIED,” and I just want to point out his fabulousness, but there isn’t a place on the chart for delightful personality, winning smile, infectious giggle, and incredible aptitude for music. Sigh.

I did manage to cheer myself up by trying on hairstyles at Instyle.com I decided that I’m going to keep growing my hair out. It’s finally getting out of that in-between stage, but it’s been a long time coming. I also did this:

Which is completely wrong, but oh-so funny.

Comments

Yup, that made me smile. Thanks!

I have been waiting forever for this photo!!!! Charlie in his LSU colors!!!!

I hate new docs, solely becuz they want to start at step one when you are step 16! Undo all the work others have done. That’s what my dentist wanted to do….just to make more money for him. You do fine.

And I vote no for TheHub as a blonde.

3. Haz Bien says:

Look at that cute little boy sitting up! And all decked out in his LSU outfit! And that hair is too much … We can’t all pull off the blonde bombshell look. πŸ˜‰

4. Ha, nice picture!!

I’m glad the meeting with the doc went well.

5. Good to hear you like the new doctors. Y’all have more doctors than anyone I know–so you better like ’em! πŸ˜‰

6. What are talking about? We only see six doctors! Ok, kidding, but seriously, Charlie is lucky. Your typical micro-preemie with CP will see the same doctors Charlie does and may also see a pulmonologist, gastrologist, or audiologist as well. We’re lucky we’re at six and I’m hoping to whittle it down to five. A girl can dream. . .

7. Oh…I’m sure I had something intelligent and inspiring to say about your post…until I saw the hub/gwen stefani pic. I am at a loss for words.
    Actually, no I’m not. That crap is funny.
    And you know what? If they don’t have a space on a chart for all of Charlie’s wonderful characteristics, then they should. I can never get over how absolutely beautiful he is.

8. Hyperher says:

I really love reading your posts. I don’t have children (but work with them) but I think your blog is touching and hilarious. I find myself popping in daily to find out what’s going on! Thanks for that.

9. Holy mackerel, when is Charlie going to have his surgery? You’re right, what sounds so terrible to one person can sound like cakewalk to another; doctors see this kind of stuff all the time…even still, that doesn’t make it any easier for you!

10. Elizabeth says:

That photo is priceless! Are you blogging from an undisclosed location now? LOL

11. Elizabeth says:

I actually have a Gypsy Kings cd! It’s buried deep among other cd’s in my car… thanks for reminding me to dig it up! I’m on a roll now! πŸ˜‰

“xybvdwmp” I almost had to dig out my reading glasses! LOL