Friend Stalking

Ok.

That is never a good beginning. It means I’m up to something.

Here’s the thing.

There’s a young couple that moved in down the street from us right around the time we moved in. I see them at a lot of different community things. I’d really like to meet them because I think it would be nice to know some people our age in our neighborhood. There are a lot of old people here who came here to retire. We’re not exactly in a young, hip neighborhood (yet).

The problem is, I see them all the time because I have to drive past their house about four times a day. They, however, probably don’t know that we exist since they don’t have to drive past our house for anything. That’s just the way our neighborhood is set up. What to do? I’m considering just going up and introducing myself the next time I see them. Something along the lines of “Hi, we live down the street–I see you cutting your grass all the time.” Would it freak you out if someone did that to you? Would I sound like a stalker? I wouldn’t mind getting to know one of the few couples in our neighborhood that aren’t retirees, but I don’t want to come off like a psycho either.

What to do? What to do?

Give me some advice.

Comments

1. Do it!

2. Shannon says:

Not stalkerish at all!!!!

3. Just step up and take a chance! Who knows, maybe they need friends too!

4. I think it would be awesome to have someone come up to me and want to meet me. I don’t think it sounds stalker-like at all!

5. We introduced our selves on Halloween. Kids in costume are a great ice breaker but seeing that it is June…I say cookies. You can’t be too bad if you come offering baked goods, can you?

I would love it if one of my neighbors came to introduce themselves to me. We are surrounded by retirees as well so I could use a peer. Go for it.

6. I say go for it, you have nothing to lose!

7. White Hot Magik says:

I thought I left a comment but don’t see it. I concur, introduce yourself. I don’t think it is wierd in the slightest.

8. I’d probably try to stumble across them somehow, myself. Neighborhood meetings? If you see them at community things, just go up and say “hi, I’m Bird, and you should be privy to the awesomeness that is me. Oh, and I have a cool son, too.” That’s an ice breaker.

Looks like you’ve got tons of good advice here, but I would probably just say hi and introduce myself the next time you see them out and about. My guess is they’re looking for someone to hang out with a little nearby, too.

10. therextras says:

Good Lord, Bird! You live in the South! Cook or buy a sweet, take it over, Charlie in roller mobility, and ring the bell.

I bet you’ve already met them – how did you get THREE posts up while I wasn’t looking?

11. Mannyed says:

Go for it! Maybe just leave out the “I see you cutting your grass all the time” part. IF you still feel like you can’t make the first move, maybe catch their eye and wave on one of your many trips past their house.

12. Princess Abigail in France.... says:

Perhaps you should stick a gun to their temple and demand they become friends … at least they will realise you are enthusiastic and sincere!!!!
    (I jest of course. Go for it!!! They will be totally smitten by the attention, intention and interest…)

13. Okay, you don’t know me, but I will tell you my wonderful story. 12 years ago, I was in a new town and very lonely. My 9-month-old and I would take endless walks to pass the time. On likely my worst day, after a horrible fight with my husband and wanting so badly to move back to the City where I had actual friends, I took another (endless) walk and decided on a lark to go to a new area. I met another mom who also just happened to be out with her son…also 9 months old. I realized afterward I talked with her that I knew her house, but not her phone number. After much hemming and hawing, I decided one day just to stop and ring the doorbell…it was nervewracking! To this day, she is truly one of my best friends, and has been there through thick and thin. And she was also very glad I rang that doorbell! So I say, do it!

14. Hi KM,

Why would you think that introducing yourself to a neighbor might make you look “freakish?”

You are in New Orleans, for God’s sake! I once bought a house in Metairie where I did not know a soul and on moving day strangers brought me food, took my kids to play for hours and helped me unpack boxes.

Yes, introduce yourself – it is the neighborly thing to do!

Betty

15. Sometimes that’s just the way you have to do it. take the chance!