Shunt-tastic

What She Wore: You know–running pants, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. I did exercise today, though, and that’s the whole point. Now, I’m just hanging out in my jammies.

What She Ate: Stouffer’s turkey and stuffing. In addition to exercising, I’m also working on portion control. Microwave meals really help with that because there’s no pot to snack from once the meal is over. I’m going to be trying to eat them for a little bit to get an idea of how much I should be eating. I don’t, however, put them in the microwave. They are so much better if you put them in the over and heat them up the old-fashioned way. I’m a freak, I know.

Right before Charlie went for his shunt surgery, I tried to find a picture on the internet to show me what it would look like. I couldn’t find any. Today, I thought I’d post some pictures in case someone else’s in ever in that position.

Here’s what he looked like right after surgery with a little swelling and stitches:

Here is a picture of him taken today, which is about four months after surgery. Personally, I think it’s pretty hard to see at this point. There’s definitely a bump, but it’s not the first thing you see when you look at him.

Comments

1. Hi Katy

I’ve just realized that Magnus and Charlie are just a few weeks apart in age. Wish I could see those two interact!

I read up a bit on your barnyard site and relived Charlie’s traumatic birth with you. You have all come such a long way.

2. Gina (Mannyed) says:

Wow, that healed pretty nicely! Honestly, it took me a few seconds to actually find the bump in the second picture!

His beautifal smile!!!! That’s first thing I see!!!!

I also warm up microwave meals in the oven when I’m at home. Especially if it’s chicken or something like that that has a breading on it that should be crunchy. Makes them a lot better. Plus it makes you feel like you’re actually cooking something! :)

5. Leucantha` says:

I have been doing the microwave meals for lunch too. Some days I am fine with the portion, others not so well. I am trying to keep apples and granola on hand for those days. Today I am jumping ship and having a pepperoni sub, I have a craving.

I couldn’t find the bump in the second picture. Charlie looks too darn cute as usual.

6. You can hardly even see it. I think it’s good you posted it there–because some other parent may want to have some idea of what to expect if she/he has to go through something similar. Having an idea ahead of time would probably help prepare a parent and help her/him deal more effectively with the situation. Good idea.

7. How cool is that? I love his smile!

8. desperate housewife says:

Hey, I’m wearing the same thing as you! Trying to work out more, too. But I didn’t do so well with the portion control- two GIANT burritos after aerobics!
    Charlie looks wonderful. I’m going to read up to get the full story.

9. Wow it sure has healed nicely. It’s amazing that he’s such a little guy but has come thru so much!

In reply to your comments:

The bars he took us to were Tujagues (or however you spell that!), Jean Lefitte (we had hurricanes there), Pirate’s Alley Cafe, Court of Two Sisters and Arnaud’s. I guess it was more for the history of the business and the stories behind it than anything. He did give us a couple choices of the drinks that they make really well at each bar. Actually, we never made it to Pat O’s. It was always busy and I’m just not that into crowds. Same with Cat’s for karaoke. I walked by it every time and looked in the door, but I just couldn’t go in since it was always packed.

Okay now on my other entry…I was drooling over the Outback in Fargo when we drove by there on our way to the airport. Of course we don’t have one here. College was an overwhelming experience for me. To say I wasn’t prepared would be an understatement. I didn’t really party that much (no more than high school), but I just didn’t go to class and I didn’t get to know anyone (except my roomie) and generally was just overwhelmed by the size of everything and the amount of people. I’m from the smallest town ever…there were more people on my one floor of my dorm than in my whole town! Yup, 8 Seconds has Luke Perry in it. Love that movie.

11. Rural Felicity says:

I do have a pic of my son’s on my site:

It’s not tagged shunt, though. G’s was initially placed in the front, and I’d never seen that placement when I was looking stuff up while pg. G had a replacement last year, and it’s in the same placement as Charlie’s.

It’s amazing how they “disappear”!

12. wow…you know i don’t think that anyone would notice anything at all…