Holiday Rant

What She Wore: Black capris; black tee; gray, cable-knit, hooded sweater with a zipper; black and gray herringbone mary janes with two little straps.

Tis the season for a little ranting, right? Today I am trying to address Christmas cards. I like to send the photo kind of card–mainly because that is my favorite kind to receive. I love seeing how everyone is doing and growing. Here’s the thing–I like sending CHRISTMAS cards. My card this year reads “Christmas 2007.” As if we’ve all just graduated from the event. I hate that. I went to several sites and all the card I found said “happy holidays” or some other crap. Seriously, is it that hard to offer the option of a Christmas card? I know that not everyone celebrates Christmas–I’m not an idiot–but why can’t I get any choices? The research I did shows me that there are about 150 million Christians living in the US. Surely I’m not the only one who wants to send a cute photo card. I’ve looked over the cards my Mother-in-law has recieved this year. A couple of them are religious is nature–they’re also heinously ugly. Glitter, woodland creatures, and other business. Seriously, is being a Christian just un-hip and out-dated? Christmas is about celebrating a miracle and celebrating the reason for faith. Can it be that hard to make a card that says, “Merry Christmas?”

Personally, I think that most of us have just dropped the ball. We don’t even notice that cards don’t say Merry Christmas. We think that Happy Holidays is a synonym. For a lot of years it was OK with me. But this year is different. I’m celebrating my own miracle–my faith. I needed more than “Christmas 2007.” Nothing out there could adequately capture the joy, the amazement, the revelation that this year has been. It’s a shame.

End rant. Feel free to move about the cabin.

Comments

1. I don’t think I have ever said, or written “Happy Holidays”. I always say Merry Christmas. Last night on the news they did a story of a store in some small town, that got so fed up with the whole “can’t say Christmas” thing, that they started giving a 5% discount to anyone that says “Merry Christmas”. How sad is that?? A lady at work told me today that one town made it so Santa has to say “Ha Ha Ha” instead of “Ho Ho Ho” — because Ho Ho Ho is offensive to women. Seriously??? That is friggin nuts!!!

2. Merry Christmas my friend! Merry Christmas is what I was raised with and I will be very sad if the day ever comes when I cannot hear that said to me.

ssshh…I’ll be berry berry quiet…baby sleepin’….ssshhh

Merry Christmas to ya’ll!

4. Everyone’s entitled a rant or two during the month of December. It happens; yours was totally legit. I’m guilty of sending ugly cards, mainly because I wait til the last minute when I’ve spent all my money and have to pick up a value pack at Walmart–talk about lack of choices. And I occasionally say “Happy Holidays” because I consider mid-November through mid-January to be just about the most awesomest time of the year and I feel that goes for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years…but I throw in a ton of Merry Christmases along with it. People have gotten a little carried away so as not to offend…sad.

I know what you mean about it being hard to find a card that says Merry Christmas. I was looking at Target for some cute Christmas cards I could just send out to whoever and I couldn’t find anything cute that said “Merry Christmas”. Finally, I settled on “Season’s Greetings” or something like that because I was just sick of looking!

6. I've Got a Life says:

It’s very true though. Wal-Mart online had a lot of choices of different kinds of Christmas cards. And, some of them did have Christmas Greetings, but I’m right there with you on being frustrated about it.

Big Hugs to you!
    Tiffany

7. Photo cards are my favorite to give and recieve as well. I get all excited putting everyobody’s photo cards up on the fridge. 3 of the ones I got said Merry Christmas…1 was from a store somehwere (on Kodak paper) another was homemade–you buy the paper and print the photo card from your computer apparently (I was unawware of this), and one was from snapfish.com, which is the service I use. Snapfish has several different Merry Christmas options, including ones with room for 4 different photos, which would be fab-o for someone like you who could fill it up with cute Charlie photos! Probably too late for this year, but…next year, maybe…additionally, you can order and design online and pick up at your local Walgreens if you don’t want them shipped.

8. Also, they let you add in your own personal message to go with the one already on the card, so you could add in all sorts of extra “Wishing you as many blessings as we’ve experienced this year” kind of things, which would probably be cool for you, too…then you could say exactly what you want. Just a thought.

9. Merry Crimbo. That’s what I like to say. Happy Holidays is sappy.

10. I know what you mean, I think last year, after some searching I found one nice religious card, other than that, the Christmas ones where just ugly and all the rest say happy holidays or seasons greetings.

Anyway, Charlie looks like an angel in that pic!

11. Oh my gosh…maybe I’ll even send xmas cards next year…

Halmark, photo cards, just add photo, addresses, and then…they even freaking send them!!! Oh and did I say that you can also type what so ever message you want????

Gotta love the net.

12. How sad that you can’t find “Merry Christmas” cards to send out. Did you try Snapfish? They usually have lots of variety. You are absolutely right, that option should be available. When I say Happy Holidays, I mean it to encompass both Christmas and New Years. I’m not trying to be generic when I say it. Of course, I like saying Merry Christmas, too and will not give that up. Ever.

Merry Christmas to you, Husband and that sleeping angel of yours!

13. oldfarmboy says:

Dear Kate, It’s been too long since I’ve commented. With your move and my computer crash, I just kind of drifted away. Even then, I’ve kept you and your family in my prayres. I am totally amazed how good your son looks in the pictures. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas. May the Lord bless you with all you need :) Kent

14. Live, Love and Laugh says:

Merry Christmas to all! Try Costco.com you can upload your photo and choose any saying. I chose Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Charlie is adorable!

Merry Christmas!
    Michelle

15. YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY I get to see you in a couple hours and I can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Yeah that bugs me too. I always write “Merry Christmas” on mine, so I’m sure that it’s in there somewhere.
    I’m going to attempt to make my own cards for next year. I’ll be starting next month.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!!!!

17. Just look at that gorgeous boy!! What an angel! :)
    Don’t forget to read over this before Santa’s visit! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

18. Happy New Year! Hope all is well.

19. Antonella says:

Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy 1008!
    Antonella